Audrey's New Dress.
I did it! I sewed a dress! I know all of you experienced seamstresses are rolling your eyes right now but to me, this is HUGE! I've sewn in the past. Curtains, pillows, aprons, blankets. But never a real piece of clothing. Never something someone would wear out of the house.
Miss Audrey has what you would call a "difficult body type" to dress. It's nearly impossible to find clothes on the rack that fit + flatter her short and round physique. I decided sewing a few basic summer dresses would be our best option and I knew Erin from Sutton Grace would have some great advice. Erin suggested this Oliver + S pattern. She said it would be a good beginner sewing project and she was right. The pattern was easy to follow and even better, it was FREE! Thanks, Erin!
Instead of using a trim fabric for the yoke and straps of the dress like the pattern suggested, I opted to make the entire dress from linen. Once the dress was sewn I embellished it with an alternating color banner also made from linen (inspired by Susan's bunting pillow).
I'm really happy with the results. The dress fits Audrey well and I learned a few things while making it.
#1 Never, EVER sew with a baby crawling around. They are magnets to the foot pedal.
#2 A project that should take a couple of hours takes me a couple of days. ( I over think. and procrastinate.)
#3 There is something magical about creating something useful + pretty from a heap of fabric. Magical, I tell you.